Combine CS and EE to design and implement an optimized computing system.
- the processor gets instructions and data from the memory
- input writes data to the memory
- output reads data from the memory
- control sends the signal that determind the operations of the…
- datapath, which does computations
- diff engine
- George Scheutz
- analytical engine
Unsigned binary integers §
2’s complement signed integers §
MSB is the sign bit.
- sum requires more bits than the input data width
Sign extension §
move 2’s complement signed int from smaller to larger container: replicate the sign to the left
Floating Points §
- not normalized
IEEE 754-1985 standard.
single precision — 32 bits
double precision — 64 bits
sign (1 bit)
exponent (8 vs 11 bits)
fraction (23 vs 52 bits)
NaN aka Not a Number.
Byte ordering §
- Big Endian — LSB has highest address
- Little Endian — LSB has lowest address
- : Kibibyte (KiB)
- : Mebibyte (Mib)